Growing up, Afghan Biscuits were my favourite biscuit and being able to make a gluten free version that tasted identical to the original was a challenge I was more than happy to take on.
For those unfamiliar with the history behind the infamous “Afghan Biscuit” let me try and explain. The Afghan Biscuit is believed to have originated in New Zealand, and is made from a cornflake and cocoa based dough, which is baked and topped with chocolate icing and walnuts.
The origin of the Afghan Biscuit is still to this day widely debated in New Zealand but some believe that they were invented by a New Zealand women who was sending the biscuits to her partner who at the time was posted in Afghanistan during the second or first World War. Regardless of what you choose to believe, one thing you can’t deny is how incredible these Afghan biscuits taste.
Traditionally Afghan Biscuits have a “dough” like texture and are rolled into balls, gently flattened and then baked, however these gluten free Afghans don’t need to be rolled. Simply scoop a large tablespoon of the mixture into your hands (I always use gloves to avoid the stickiness) and slowly roll into balls. Then gently flatten with a fork and bake.
It’s also important to note that when making this recipe you need to use un-sweetened gluten free cornflakes, otherwise the biscuits will be to sweet and lose their lovely taste.
This recipe took a lot of perfecting, but I can happily I feel like I have finally done Afghans justice.I have listed the brands of a few ingredients I used because I felt that throughout all the testing these worked the best, however it’s completely up to you what brands you use.
If you want to try a piece of New Zealand treasure gluten free style then keep reading.
Gluten Free Afghan Biscuits
- 200 grams Butter Softened
- 1/2 cup (150g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 1/4 cups (186g) Gluten Free Plain Flour*
- 1/4 cup (25g) Nestle Cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (75g) Unsweetened Gluten Free Cornflakes
- Chocolate Icing (homemade or bought)
- Walnuts (to decorate)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line your baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat your butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Then sift in your flour and cocoa.
- Crush your cornflakes so that some are slightly crushed and some resemble crumbs and add them to your mixture.
- Mix until all your cornflakes are combined with the rest of the mixture.
- Roll into heaped teaspoonfuls and then place them on the baking tray, lightly press the centre of each Afghan down with a fork or hand.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (mine baked for 18minutes) and place them on a wire rack to cool before icing Don’t worry if your Afghans seem a bit soft, they will crisp up when cool.
- Now ice your Afghans with chocolate icing and place a walnut on each...then you are free to enjoy!
If you get the chance to make these Afghans I would love to know what you think, feel free to tag me over at @itsallglutenfree on Instagram!