I have always been a massive lover of brownies, before having to go gluten free I used to love baking brownies and would pride myself on how rich and gooey they were. Which is why I’m so happy to share my gluten free brownie recipe, as it’s just as good as the brownies I use to make, if not better.
For me a brownie should be four things.
2. Full of chocolate
3. Gooey on the inside
4. Slightly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside
These Caramel M&M brownies are all of those things and more.
If you are based in Australia and haven’t tried the Caramel M&M’s you are seriously missing out, and for those of you who didn’t know the Caramel M&M’s in Australia are gluten free.
It is important to not that this product is gluten free by ingredient (see below images for reference) While they do include “Wheat glucose Syrup” In 2016, Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) announced a change to Standard 1.2.3 of the Food Standards Code that glucose syrup made from wheat was exempt from allergen labelling requirements as the ingredient is so highly processed that it is gluten free even though a gluten source is indicated. For more information on this please click here
At this stage only the Caramel flavour is gluten free in Australia but we can keep our fingers crossed that more flavours will come shortly.
When I posted these brownies to my Instagram I was inundated with messages from people saying they had made them and loved them. We even managed to convert some non-gluten free people who were also obsessed with them (their’s your bench mark)
What’s great about this brownie recipe in particular is that it stands the test of time, I have been using this recipe for almost three years and never once has it disappointed me. Whether you want to add the caramel M&Ms or bake these brownies plain, this recipe will have you hooked.
Gluten Free M&M Brownies
- 150g Butter
- 1 cup (85g) Nestle Cocoa Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups (430g) Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3/4 cup (90g) Gluten Free Plain Flour*
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 200 grams Milk Chocolate chips
- 130 grams Caramel M&M’s*
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees (fan forced) and line your chosen baking tin with baking paper.
- In a microwave or medium sized saucepan melt your butter, once melted remove from the heat and pour into a large bowl.
- Now stir in your cocoa and gently mix until combined. Leave to cool for 60 seconds.
- Once your mixture has cooled slightly start beating in your eggs, then add your sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Then sift together your flour and baking powder, then add to the mixture and gently mix.
- Now add in your milk chocolate chips or chocolate melts, make sure you mix them through so you have chocolate throughout your brownie batter.
- Now add in your caramel M&Ms, you can either add them to the brownie mixture or just sprinkle them on top. I like to do half on top and half in the mixture but you can do whatever suits you.
- Pour your brownie batter into your lined tin and even out the tops with a knife or spatula. Gently tap the tin on your bench a few times (this helps flatten your batter so it cooks evenly)
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 160 degrees fan forced. I like to take my brownies out after 45 minutes as I like them really gooey.
- Then take them out of the oven and allow them to cool in the tin for 20 minutes. This step is vital as your brownie needs to “set” if you take it out to early it will break.
- Once your brownie has rested for 20 minutes, turn it out onto a wire rack and enjoy slightly warm or cold.
If you get the chance to make these brownies I would love to know what you think, feel free to tag me over at @itsallglutenfree on instragram!