Who can say no to some chocolate slice? I know I cant.
This gluten free twist on your classic chocolate coconut slice taste just like the version your mum or grandma use to bake, minus the gluten.
If you aren’t the most adventurous baker or like recipes that are quick and simple to follow, then this is the recipe for you. This rich and chocolatey slice brings a whole new definition to the term “easy”.
All you need to do is melt some butter, mix the ingredients together and bake it in the oven. Next comes the fun part of making some rich chocolate icing and slathering it all over the top of your base (does anyone else find spreading out chocolate icing really therapeutic?)
If you haven’t tried chocolate slice before and aren’t the biggest fan of desiccated coconut then I would suggest you skip this one out, however if you love all things chocolate and coconut then this may just be your new favourite slice.
This slice makes for a great afternoon snack or lunch box treat and if you have little ones you could sprinkle some 100s of 1000s on top of the chocolate icing or some extra desiccated coconut.
This slice should last up to 3 days as long as you keep it in an air tight container in the refrigerator. If you are intending on eating it that day then it can be served at room temperature (I tend to take a piece out of the fridge just before I’m about to eat it, as it makes it a little softer and less fudge like, but that’s my personal preference)
If you get a chance to try this recipe I would love to know what you think, feel free to tag me over on Instagram at @itsallglutenfree
Gluten Free Chocolate Slice
- 1/2 cup (66g) Gluten Free Plain Flour*
- 1/2 cup (70g) Gluten Free Self Raising Flour**
- 2 tablespoons (18g) Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup (107g) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) Desiccated Coconut
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 125 grams Salted Butter (melted)
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup (125g) Icing Sugar
- 3 tablespoons (30g) Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Knob of butter (about 1-2 tablespoons)
- Splash of boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees fan forced, line your tin with baking paper (I used a square cake tin that was about 24x5cm)
- Sift your cocoa and flours in a large bowl, then mix together.
- Melt your butter and add your egg and melted butter into your dry ingredients and mix with a kitchen whisk until just combined.
- Then using the back of a spatula gently press your mixture into your lined tray, making sure to flatten the top and evenly spread the mixture.
- Bake for 18 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow the slice to cool down in the tray before moving it to a wire rack.
- Sift your icing sugar and cocoa into a medium size bowl, add the vanilla essence, butter and a splash of boiling water.
- Then mix using a kitchen whisk until you get a spreadable consistency (you may find you add more icing sugar or more water it just depends) If you add to much water don’t worry just add some more icing sugar.
- Once you are happy with the icing consistency pour it over your slice base and allow to set for 30-40 minutes, ( I actually put my slice base back into the lined tin and then poured the icing over and allow to set, this just makes it easier to remove the slice and less messy)
- Then remove from the tin or rack and slice into snack sized pieces and enjoy.