As someone who loves brownies as much as I do, I’m almost embarrassed to say that up until a few months ago I had never tasted a “Blondie”. After seeing my Instagram flooded with people making these delicious treats, I decided to see what all the fuss was about.
Essentially a “Blondie” is a vanilla version of brownies, it still has that richness and chewy texture that brownies have just minus the cocoa. Honestly, they remind me of a massive chocolate chip cookie in brownie form, you still get that intense hit of chocolate, just paired with a rich butterscotch flavour. These blondies honestly taste so delicious that you can’t even tell their gluten free. They are super simple to make and act like any other brownie mixture would when it comes to cooking, the secret is to slightly under cook them so that you get a crispy outside and gooey inside.
As for what I prefer more, I really can’t pick. They are both a rich in taste, gooey in texture and contain a large amount of chocolate so it feels wrong to pick one. One thing I will say is that I tend to like my classic chocolate brownies straight from the pantry, whereas these blondies heated in the microwave are seriously next level, it’s like eating them fresh out of the oven all over again.
If you get the chance to make these, I would love to know what you think! Or if you are #teambrownie or #teamblondie let me know over on Instagram at @itsallglutenfree
Gluten Free Blondies
- 1/2 cup (111g) Butter Softened
- 1 cup (220g) Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (140g) Gluten Free Plain Flour* See Notes
- 165g Milk Chocolate Chips
- 35g Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees fan forced, and line your brownie tin with baking paper (I used a square cake tin that was about 24x5cm)
- In a large bowl use an electric beater to cream your butter and sugar together for two minutes until the mixture is creamy.
- Then add your egg and vanilla essence and beat until combined.
- Remove your electric beater and pour in your flour, salt and baking soda. Then gently mix with a whisk.
- Once all the dry ingredients have been combined tap of the excess from your whisk and set it aside.
- Now use a spatula to scrap down the sides of the bowl and pour in your chocolate chips a few at a time, then mix with the spatula and repeat (this helps evenly distribute your chocolate chips).
- Once all your chocolate chips have been added, gently use your spatula to help place your mixture into the tin and smooth out the top with the back of the spatula.
- Now bake for 26 minutes at 180 degrees (fan forced)
- Once cooked remove the tin from the oven and allow the Blondies to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack.
- Then eat slightly warm or allow to cool. (Personally, I think these are best served warm. On the second or third day I heat mine for 15-20 seconds in the microwave) These would also taste amazing served with ice cream.