Take a bite of this decadent fudge and you are met with the softness of chocolate covered marshmallows and the creaminess that is the sweet strawberry fudge. The smell of this fudge alone is incredible, it kind of reminds me of the strawberry roses that you use to get at Christmas time.
This fudge would definitely be up there in the sugar department, but the beauty of it is because it is so rich you can’t eat a lot, a bite size piece is more than enough making it perfect for a special occasion, kids party or sugar fix.
For those of you reading this and wondering what a chocolate fish is, it’s a chocolate covered pink marshmallow in the shape of a fish that’s unique to New Zealand. They are about 10cm long and come individually wrapped, but you can also get baby chocolate fish which a lot of cafes serve with a hot chocolate instead of a marshmallows (best part of a hot chocolate in my opinion) Each country has their own special lollies or chocolate that becomes iconic, and in this case a chocolate fish is definitely a national treasure.
I’m actually not the biggest fan of the traditional large individually wrapped chocolate fish, I personally find the dark chocolate tastes too superficial. I much prefer the mini chocolate fish from the brand Rainbow, which you can buy in 250g packets from Pak n Save or a 1kg bags from Moore Wilsons (Side note: so much of the Rainbow range is gluten free, so I highly suggest having a browse if you are after some gluten free chocolate or lollies) Every time I go back to NZ I come home with a suitcase full of their 1kg chocolate fish and pineapple lumps because good gluten free chocolate is hard to come by.
Now if you are reading this thinking that you have never seen chocolate fish available to buy at your local shops don’t stress, last month Pascall released some chocolate marshmallow bites in a vanilla and raspberry flavour which you can get from Woolworths, Coles or Countdown. The raspberry flavour tastes almost identical to a chocolate fish and both the vanilla and raspberry flavours are gluten free, so whether your based in Australia or NZ you can enjoy this epic fudge.
Apart from how incredible it tastes, what’s great about this fudge is that it only requires 3 ingredients and its super easy to make. When I first had the idea for this fudge, I thought a lot more would be required to make the strawberry fudge, I couldn’t get over how simple it was. Until today I have never made fudge so I was stoked when this recipe was such a success, it’s safe to say that I will definitely be sharing more fudge recipes soon. My mind is buzzing with flavour combinations so stay tuned!
I hope you enjoy! – Georgia
Gluten Free Chocolate Fish Fudge
- 320 grams White Chocolate
- 400 grams Strawberry Frosting* see notes
- Pink Food Colouring (optional)
- 160 grams Chocolate Fish or Pascall Choc Mallow Bites Raspberry* see notes
- Line a baking tray with baking paper (I used a standard square brownie tin)
- Use a knife to chop your chocolate fish or marshmallow bites in to four even pieces. Repeat for these steps until you have cut up the entire packet and place to them to side.
- Fill a medium size saucepan halfway with water and bring to the boil.
- Place your white chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and place over the saucepan of boiling water (making sure to not let the bowl touch the water) then use a spatula to stir until the chocolate starts melting.
- Once the chocolate has almost completely melted, remove from the heat.
- Remove your bowl from the saucepan and allow the chocolate to cool for 60 seconds.
- Once the chocolate has slightly cooled, mix in your strawberry frosting (At this point you can add some pink food colouring for a more intense pink colour, or you can leave it as is)
- Then pour your fudge mixture into your lined baking tray and even spread the mixture.
- Once the mixture has been evenly spread top the fudge with your chocolate marshmallows and gently push down to make sure the marshmallows stick to the fudge.
- Allow to set at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Once set, cut into bite size pieces store in an airtight container and enjoy!