I have also shared how I make this gluten free banana cake over on my instagram stories, if you want to take a look just click here and go to my instagram highlights and click on the Banana Cake one. I hope you enjoy!
Gluten Free Banana Cake
- 125g Butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 cup Raw Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Really Ripe Medium sized bananas (mashed)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 teaspoon Bicab Soda
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 1 3/4 cup Plain Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 50 grams Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2 tablespoons Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (fan forced) and line a square or round cake tin with baking paper.
- Using a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and both sugars together until pale and creamy.
- Then add in the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Remove the electric beater and using a separate chopping board, mash the bananas up using a fork (you want to make sure the bananas are really mashed up).
- Then add the mashed bananas and vanilla essence into the butter mixture and use a spatula to gently combine.
- Using a glass jug, warm up the milk in the microwave. Then stir in the bicarb soda and mix well.
- Pour the milk mixture into the banana mixture and stir through with a spatula.
- Now sift in the gluten free flour and baking powder, then use a spatula to gently fold it in until it’s all combined.
- Then pour the mixture into the lined tin. Smooth out the top of the cake and gently tap the tin on the bench, to remove any air bubbles.
- Place in the oven for around 33-35 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean when inserted (keep in mind that the skewer may not be entirely clean due to the banana in the cake, just keep an eye on the cake as cooking times will vary based on individual ovens).
- Once cooked, remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Then remove the cake from the tin, and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Once the cake has cooled completely you can start on the icing.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the softened butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, and boiling water with a whisk until you get a nice icing consistency.
- Then pour the icing over the cake, and smooth out the tops.
- Allow the icing to set for around 30 minutes, then slice and enjoy!