Delicious gluten free vanilla cupcakes, topped with a rich cookies and cream buttercream.
- 125 grams Butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Milk
Cookies & Cream Buttercream
- 250g Lurpak spreadable butter (see notes)
- 3 cups of Icing Sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 180g Gluten Free Cookies & Cream Biscuits (see notes for what brand I use)
- 2 large snap lock bags (1x to break the biscuits & 1x to pipe the buttercream)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees (fan forced) and line a patty tin with patty cases.
- In a medium sized bowl use an electric mixer/beater to cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence together until pale and creamy.
- Now add the eggs (one at a time) mixing between each addition.
- Remove the electric mixer/beater. In a separate bowl sift the flour and baking powder together, then add it to the butter mixture.
- Then gently use a spatula to fold in the flour and baking powder, making sure not to over mix the mixture.
- Once all of the flour has been folded in, pour in the milk and gently fold until combined (again make sure you don’t over mix the mixture).
- Then scoop 1 heaped kitchen tablespoon of cupcake mixture into each patty case (makes around nine cupcakes) then distribute any left over mixture over nine cupcakes.
- Tap the patty tray on the bench to remove any air bubbles.
- Place in the oven and bake for 14 minutes or until the cupcakes are golden brown on the top and clean inside when you insert a skewer.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the patty tin for 1-2 minutes, then remove the cupcakes and place them on a cooling rack.
Cookies & Cream Buttercream
- Place the biscuits into a large snap lock bag and seal shut. Then using a rolling pin, gently tap/ break the biscuits until they become a crumb like consistency (make sure you break the biscuits into small enough crumbs so that they don’t get stuck in the piping bag nozzle).
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric beater/mixer to beat the lurpak until pale and creamy.
- Then add in the icing sugar and milk, then beat until everything is combined and resembles a buttercream consistency.
- Remove the electric mixer/beater.
- Now add in the Cookies & Cream biscuits crumbs and mix with a spatula until they have been combined throughout the butter cream.
- Scoop the buttercream mixture into a snap lock bag, then remove the air from the bag and seal it shut.
- Squeeze the mixture down into one of the bottom corners, then snip the corner of the bag.
- Now pipe the buttercream onto the top of the cupcake, then top with an extra biscuit (optional). You can also just spoon the buttercream on top of the cupcakes, then repeat until all the cupcakes have been iced.
- My favourite gluten free Cookies & Cream biscuits are the ones from Woolworths supermarket (I have linked them here). Coles and Countdown supermarkets also do a version of gluten free cookies & cream biscuits and they would also work perfectly.
- You don’t have to use spreadable lurpak for the buttercream, you can just use normal butter that is softened. However I find that using the spreadable lurpak is the easier option. All you have to do is take it out of the fridge a few minutes before making the buttercream and it’s the perfect consistency (nice and soft)and still tastes incredible. It is a more costly option, but a great time saver. Again it’s totally up to you.